Announcing #KodeWithKlossy 2016

27695aa900000578-3032730-image-m-86_1428615462578
// This is an excerpt from my Motto op-ed. Read the full piece at motto.time.com //

To empower young women to explore coding’s endless possibility and increase access to computer science education, I decided to launch a coding scholarship for young women and girls last summer. In partnership with the Flatiron School, we provided twenty-one female students the opportunity to take the same course that kicked off my coding education one year earlier.

It was heartening to watch the students learn and challenge their understanding over the course of the two week program. By the end, students built impressive and inventive apps based on their interests and passions. Students created a virtual fashion closet resembling Cher’s in Clueless, a tool to sort through weather data to make predictions about global warming, and an app that allows consumers to sample a book’s first few pages before purchasing. While each of the students learned the same technical skill set, the diversity of these projects showed them how code can be applied to whatever industry they choose to pursue. Watching alongside the students’ parents as these young women presented their projects left me hopeful and proud.

Now one year later, I’m excited to expand this coding initiative and launch the first Kode With Klossy summer camp. Through our camp, nearly eighty young women in New York, Los Angeles and my hometown of St. Louis will join a community of female coding students to learn the fundamentals of programming Ruby. The Kode With Klossy curriculum, powered by the learn.co platform and taught by inspiring teachers, is designed to be fun, hands-on and collaborative. Through teamwork and creativity, each student will learn how to use code to build a web app that expresses her personal passions. I’m eager to share this transformative experience with this summer’s group of Kode With Klossy scholars and to continue to grow and build this community of bright young women.  

Comments (3)

• Hasmeet 4 months ago Reply

Hi,

I am 25 and really interested in learning coding. I am trying to self- learn but I would really appreciate an opportunity to be involved in this course.

• kamagra 3 months ago Reply

excellent points altogether, you just received a brand new reader.
    What might you suggest about your post that you
    made a few days in the past? Any sure?

• FIORELLA 3 months ago Reply

Hi . I am 17 years old and I am interested in entering this field. I’m just going to study my university studies and this option would be very happy.
    I am from peru .

Leave a Reply